Handmade Gift Ideas for Him with Morgan from Thread Theory // EP11
Guys, we are 26 days out from Christmas.
Have you gotten started on your handmade gifts yet?
I admit, I'm a little behind this year. So far I've gotten the pattern and fabric I need for my boyfriend's gift, but have yet to start sewing it. Hopefully sometime when finals are over I'll be able to whip up his sweater and not leave it too much until the last minute!
If you're still in the planning stages of your Christmas sewing and are in need for some ideas, we're here to help! Today on the Maker Style Podcast Morgan has come on the show to share her top five handmade gift ideas for the men in our lives. Morgan is the pattern-making genius behind Thread Theory, a pattern company that specializes in timeless, quality, and extremely wearable menswear designs. She is THE expert in menswear sewing, so I know you're just going to love the amazing tips she has to share.
PLUS: If you're listening to this episode the day it comes out, Monday, November 28th, all of Thread Theory's Patterns are 50% off too help you get your Holiday sewing started with a deal.
Being the incredibly sweet person she is, Morgan has curated a whole bunch of past men's gift-making resources she's written in the past to make sure we all have as much information as possible before diving into our projects. She basically wrote the show notes for me with all of the bonus information she provided, so check them out, they're extra good this week.
Gee, I need Morgan to come help me do this every week ;)
In addition to selling patterns, Thread Theory also has plenty of supplies for sale to help you make beautiful menswear pieces. If you need any fabric or notions, I would recommend you give them a peek. The gorgeous fabrics in the photo above are all hers!
Did you know that you can listen to the Maker Style Podcast on your favourite podcast app? We're live on Stitcher, Google Play, Castbox, Satchel and iTunes! Subscribing is totally free, and will make sure that you never miss out on the latest episode.
Sewing Gifts - Includes both gifts for people who sew and ideas for what to sew others!
DIY Manly Gift Guide
Fathers Day Gift Ideas (that work for Christmas, too)
Morgan's project list:
1) A Dopp Kit/Toiletry Kit: You can find our tutorial here. We also offer kits. This is a very quick project that can be personalized in many ways (size, fabric choice, waxing it, adding a leather handle, filling it with goodies).
2) Comox Trunks or Boxers: Perfect for someone you know well :P. You can find our trunks pattern here and kits here or a great boxer pattern here.
3) A cozy sweater such as the Finlayson Sweater or Seamwork Paxson: A knit garment that you can keep as a surprise since it is easy to get a good fit by copying a sweater from the recipient’s closet.
I totally copied this idea for Wyatt! Here's the fabric I went with.
4) A sewing project to share: Give a pattern such as the Fairfield Button-up, some supplies (though not necessarily fabric as you might like to pick that out together), a bottle of wine, and the promise of some evenings together making a custom tailored garment! The recipient can be as involved or removed as they are comfortable with – they might like to have a fitting and a peruse of fabrics online or they might prefer to help out with the whole sewing process. Giving this way ensures the perfect fit and avoids the stress of trying to sew secretly and to a time constraint.
I totally am planning on stealing this idea for Wyatt, I bought the pattern already during the 50% off sale!
5) Goldstream Peacoat: A big project that you will put lots of love into. The recipient of your coat will feel like they are being hugged by you whenever they wear it.
Other Lovely Patterns Mentioned:
Hot Patterns Hemmingway Windcheater
Rachel's Mum's DIY Saran Wrap Recipe
(We got on a tangent, haha)
- Brush 1/4c-1/2c of melted beeswax onto some cotton muslin.
- Sprinkle the same amount of shredded beeswax over the cloth and leave it to melt in the over at 280F.
Simply warm with your hands before using, and enjoy your re-usable wrap!