Woah! What a week!
We've been having a particularly incredible time over on Instagram this week because Ying from Tailor Made Shop took over the Maker Style account to share her favourite five free undie patterns.
That's right. You heard me. F-R-E-E.
If you've been debating getting your feet wet into the world of bra and undie making but didn't want to make the investment into a pattern just yet, this is the list for you! Any one of the links of below would be a perfect place to start on your first underwear make.
For anyone wanting to take on an added hack to the patterns, Ying has added a tip to try with each pattern to make them suit your style perfectly. Isn't she just the best?
Let's dig into the links, shall we?
Day 1: Cloth Habit Landyshorts
The first free underwear sewing pattern is Cloth Habit's Ladyshorts!
- Size 0-14
- Fits Hips 32" - 46"
- Recommended fabrics: stretch lace with 60% stretch. However any stretchy fabric with 60-70% stretch is fair game, so don't be afraid to use your jersey knits or stretch mesh! Finish the waistband and leg opening with 1" narrow elastic lace trim.
- How I made them: I used a nude stretch mesh and finished the leg openings and waistband with 1" narrow elastic lace trim in ivory
- A technique you can try: Try finishing the leg openings and waistband with picot elastic or fold over elastic instead of the 1" narrow elastic lace trim.
Day 2: So Sew Easy's Lace Undies
The second free underwear pattern I recommend is So Sew Easy's Lace Undies. This project sews up quick so you'll have a pair of pretty lacy undies in almost no time.
- Size XS - L
- Fits Hips 32" - 43"
- Recommended Fabrics: 4" - 6.5" Stretch lace
- How I made them: I used a 6.5" gray stretch lace.
- A technique you can try: Use stretch laces of different lengths to determine the most flattering rise for you!
The third free underwear pattern is So, Zo...What Do You Know's knickers.
- Size UK 8-16
- Recommended Fabrics: Jersey knits or an old t-shirt. Finish the waistband and leg openings with either foldover elastic or picot elastic.
- How I made them: I used a speckled rayon knit and finished the leg openings with foldover elastic and the waistband 1" narrow elastic lace trim.
- A technique you can try: Use a stretch galloon lace for the front of the knickers and incorporate the scallop edge in the front waistline and use stretch mesh for back of the knickers.
Free Underwear Pattern #4 is Madalynne's Noelle hi-waisted panties.
- Size XS-L
- Fits Hips 32" - 40"
- Recommended fabrics: stretch lace, lycra, or mesh that has 30-40% stretch. Waistband and leg openings are finished with picot elastic
- How I made them: I used a printed swimwear lycra and lined it with swimwear lining. The waistband and leg openings are finished with cotton swimwear elastic
- A technique you can try: Pretty much all underwear patterns can be used to make swimwear. Trying making the Noelle hi-waisted panties in a swimsuit fabric so you can wear them out and about the beach or the pool.
(Rachel here, I LOVE the free halter bra that comes with the Noelle panties. I've made it as day wear so many times)
Day 5: Make Bra's Hipster Panties
The last free underwear pattern is my favorite: Make Bra's Hipster Panties!
- Size S-L
- Fits Hips 34.5" - 42.5"
- Recommended fabrics: Knits that stretch lengthwise and crosswise such as cotton jersey and lycra. Waistband and leg openings are finished with foldover elastic.
- How I made them: I used stretch mesh for the front and stretch galloon lace for the back. I finished the front leg openings and the waistband with picot elastic.
- A technique you can try: Pattern hack it like I did to use stretch galloon lace for the back of the panties. Add a center back seam so you can implement the scallop lace edge for the back leg openings.
Now... A Giveaway!
If bra making month has you in the mood to sew something beautiful Ying wants to help you make this happen by giving away one of her gorgeous bra sets! This should be enough to make a bra of your choice and some undies to go along with it.
Here's exactly what's being given away:
- Peach Nude Stretch Lace x 3 YDS
- Beige Sheer Cup Lining 18" x 28"
- Power Net x 18" x 29"
- Peach Stretch Mesh x .5 YD
- Panty Gusset Lining x Fat Quarter (not pictured)
- Clear Narrow Elastic x 1.5 YD (not pictured)
- Cut & Sew Foam x Fat Quarter
- Peach Satin Elastic x 1.5 YD
- 3/8" Peach Picot Plush Elastic x 4 YDS
- 7/16" Peach Picot Plush Elastic x 1.5 YD
- Peach Channeling x 1 YD
- Hook & Eye x 1(Choice of 2-Row or 3-Row)
- 1/2" Rings & Sliders x 1 set each in (Gold, Silver, Rose Gold, Gunmetal)
I can honestly and genuinely vouch for the sets sold at Tailor Made Shop. My very first supply order came from here and I was really happy with it. I later made a Scalloped Bolyston Bra and a White Hacked Up Bolyston Bra (that I wear nearly every day to school) with the supplies from her shop.
You'll definitely be in good hands with one of her sets.
If you want to enter, all you have to do is check out this post on Instagram and comment which lingerie sewing pattern you've been dying to try and follow us both on Instagram. The giveaway will be closing Monday, February 6th at 10PM EST.
Good luck everyone!!
Thank you, Ying for coming on the blog to create such a fun and educational week! It's been such a blast having you here.
PS: This collaboration, and every collaboration in Bra Month, is 100% unsponsored. This is just our way of collectively supporting, loving, and celebrating the bra making community!
Creative lifestyle blogger, dedicated to the process of making new things and worrying about being perfect LATER. Lover of Instagram, making things, and wearing dresses instead of pants.
I post a new handmade garment every Wednesday!